Call for applications to ASCI’s Postbac Program
The ASCI is pleased to call for applications for the Society’s new Postbac Program.
This program provides an intensive, two-year mentored laboratory research experience for UiMS students (i.e., those identifying as being from populations underrepresented in medicine and science) that will expose them to the physician-scientist career path, strengthen their applications to MD or MD-PhD programs, and enhance their career development.
From the applicants, two finalists will be selected and each matched with a host lab where the Principal Investigator is an ASCI member with an outstanding mentoring record and resources to ensure in-depth research training. The two-year period will be mid-2024 through mid-2026.
Eligible applicants are those who are UiMS as defined by the ASCI Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee. Applicants are college graduates who are either in their last year of undergraduate study or received their bachelor’s degree within TWO years at the time of submission. Applicants should intend to apply to medical school during their second year of the Postbac Program.
Applications consist of:
- a 750-word essay that describes your research experience, current interests, career goals, and anything else you would like us to know about you;
- an undergraduate transcript (PDF);
- a curriculum vitae (PDF);
- headshot photograph (JPG etc.) (this file is not used in the review process);
- two letters of recommendation (see more below); and
- a completed ASCI demographics survey.
The application deadline is January 5, 2024, at 11:59 pm Eastern. See the Postbac Program FAQ section for additional key dates.
Interested in applying?
Email email@example.com to request that an application be set up. You’ll receive an email providing information to access your application.
- You can return to and edit the application until you’ve submitted it.
- If you submit the application before the deadline and wish to edit it, email us and we’ll reopen the application.
Letters of recommendation
In your application, you’ll see a “Letters of recommendation” section where you can look up your supporters and add them if not found in our database. Supporters do not need to be affiliated with the ASCI in any way.
You’re responsible for notifying supporters to provide their letters online. Supporters are asked to complete two sections:
- a statement (500-word limit) detailing your strengths and suitability to this program; and
- a brief statement regarding their relationship to you.
Note that you won’t be able to submit your application until you’ve notified your supporters. In this section, you’ll be able to see whether supporters’ forms are in progress or submitted. You’ll also receive an email notification when each supporter submits her/his form.