Nominations for ASCI Council, 2023
The Society seeks nominations for the following ASCI Council vacancies arising in 2023 (all terms begin and end in the spring):
- Vice President (4-year term, 2023-2027)
- Councilor (two positions, each 3-year terms, 2023-2026)
Members who are in the Active category, and who do not turn 56 until 2027 or later, are eligible for nomination (self-nominations are not permitted). The Society strongly encourages members to consider diversity in identifying those suitable for nomination. Nominations may be submitted by any member and must be submitted by February 2, 2023, at 11:59 PM EST (extended from January 31).
All Council members are expected to support the activities of and attend the ASCI annual meeting, and to participate in the general governance of the Society, including two in-person meetings (fall and spring, with the spring meeting occurring as part of the annual meeting) and videoconference calls (typically every other month). All Council members participate in the review of membership and Stanley J. Korsmeyer Award nominations and subsequent discussion at the fall meeting.
The Vice President transitions to President-Elect in year 2, President in year 3, and Immediate Past President in year 4. For the 2nd through 4th years of this position, this member is expected to participate significantly in matters related to the annual meeting. In the Presidential year (year 3), the member convenes a face-to-face Council meeting and oversees related review processes for nominations, notably including those to membership. The President works closely with the Association of American Physicians to create the annual meeting program and presents the traditional Presidential Address at the meeting.
The Council is supported by an Executive Director, Managing Director, and other staff members who oversee the day-to-day operations of the Society and effect initiatives as directed by the Council. For details on Officers and Councilors, see the ASCI Bylaws.
- may be any ASCI member
- must provide a statement (250-word limit) regarding the nominee
- must specify the position of interest (Vice President or Councilor);
- must provide the following:
- a 250-word candidate statement, written in first person, for consideration by the Council and for use as the ballot statement if the nominee is selected as a candidate. The nominee must provide the statement by email to email@example.com by the deadline noted above. (Nominees may refer to candidate statements for the 2022 nomination cycle for guidance in drafting their own statements.)
- an NIH-style biosketch;
- and must complete the ASCI’s demographic survey.
To start a nomination:
- Access your member account
- Go to the “Nominations” tab
- In the section for “Council nominations”:
- If you are the nominee, select the “I’m the nominee” option to start your part of the nomination (only you have access to this information).
- If you are the nominator, select “I’m the nominator” option, then search for your nominee. Only nominees who are within the age-eligibility criteria will be returned in the results.